Character Education is a unique school model that applies “Character Based Holistic Education” (CBHE). CBHE is an educational philosophy that believes that every human being has the potential to develop good character. Positive dispositions in turn facilitate a love of learning which improves intelligence, creativity and understanding of self. This holistic approach promotes thinking about the meaning and purpose of our lives as well as our relationships and connections to each other. The Character building approach prepares students to face the challenges of the 21st century by encouraging the following dispositions:
- A problem solving attitude,
- Self-motivation which aspires to work to the highest standards, and
- An entrepreneurial spirit that is adaptive, resilient and willing to take risks
Character Schools encourage students to develop good character and love Learning. Enthusiasm, curiosity and, an active mind are encouraged. The ability to read well is seen as particularly important. Constructive and positive thinking skills promote Higher Order Thinking Skills: We want our students to be creative, critical, analytical, reflective and open. In future our students will need to be problem solvers, effective communicators, adaptable, able to face challenges and prepared to take reasonable risks. It is vital that our students learn to respect human life and think beyond themselves for the benefit of society as well as the environment. The Character School approach ensures all aspects of a child’s development are considered so that the potential of the student is realized, be it; academic skills, emotional skills, social skills, gross or fine motor skills, artistic skills, creative skills or spiritual understanding.
- VISION: “Building children’s character through a positive and holistic learning process”
- MISSION: To promote the following positive characteristics in students. These positive characteristics are included in the 9 Pillars of Character:
- Reverence and Love for God’s Creation
- Responsibility and Self-Reliance (Self-Discipline and Orderliness)
- Trustworthiness, Reliability, and Honesty
- Respect and Courtesy
- Love, Care, Empathy, Charitable Attitude, and Team Work
- Confidence, Creativity, Resourcefulness, Courage, Determination, and Enthusiasm
- Justice, Fairness, and Good Leadership
- Kindness, Friendliness, Humility, and Modesty
- Tolerance, Flexibility, Peacefulness, and Unity
These nine pillars are complimented with our K4 Attitudes – Keeping Safe, Keeping Clean, Keeping Healthy and Keeping things Tidy
The original character school in Cimanggis, Depok has already obtained accreditation for its kindergarten and elementary school; this school was given a grade of 97 out of 100 in 2011 from the Department of Education of West Java. Its Character Education has also received a very good response from the public: The school is now so popular many parents have started enrolling their children 2 or 3 years in advance of their start date. Our experience means the vision of IHF to build a Nation of Good Character has been refined and we have developed a training programme for teachers across Indonesia.
- LEARNING METHOD:
To support our character building approach, it is necessary to create an environment conducive for learning. This means that the atmosphere in the classrooms should be positive, stress-free, and caring. The formation of a strong emotional attachment between staff, teachers and students, between students, between parents and schools is the first most important step which helps students internalize the values we promote. As children develop self-confidence and strong values they will naturally be better motivated and more positive to learn.
Our teachers do their best to make learning exciting and relevant. They are taught how to take into account the uniqueness of each child. They are taught about multiple intelligences and different learning styles. Our approach takes into account up to date concepts and theories that are outlined in the teacher training materials and are featured in the design of modules. Features of our teachers include:
- The need to be able to communicate positively and effectively with students, as well as with parents and each other
- Positive interaction skills with students so that they feel loved, appreciated, respected, understood, and safe
- An understanding and appreciation for the uniqueness and abilities of each student, so that each student feels appreciated
- A tolerance towards students various backgrounds (cultural, ethnic, and religious)
- An ability to apply rules and boundaries clearly, so as to implement positive discipline (without rage)
- An ability to appreciate students’ mistakes and turn them into opportunities to learn
- Accreditation of Teachers
Our character school has a standard school admissions tutor and school staff are all required to have the qualifications set by law for their position. Every teacher must also obtain a license to teach from IHF by following our training, observation and apprenticeship programme.
- Curriculum and Teaching Methods
The curriculum and teaching methods take child development into account so that activities are age appropriate as well as enjoyable. We promote active learning, integrated learning, brain-friendly learning, learning that fosters curiosity (inquiry-based learning), relevant and contextual learning (including using nature), learning by doing, and learning in teams.
We encourage effective classroom management, and positive communication between every stakeholder. To ensure accountability we use a continual assessment method. Students may be asked to produce a portfolio, present work, exhibit work, write essays, or complete self-assessments, etc.
We believe we are implementing character education which has the following unique approach:
- A curriculum that is explicit, systematic, and continuous
- We promote the virtues explored in our Pillars of Character, and encourage positive actions/ service
- Every day includes time for reflection about the pillars of character as well as new learning
- We integrate pillars of character into every activity
- We use over 120 books which support the themes in the 9 pillars of character
- We provide many educational games and tools that build character
- The active involvement of parents is a top priority